U12's Retain Connacht Cup Title   03/05/2015

U12 Connacht Cup Final

Mervue Utd 4-1 Melview FC (Longford)

Mervue Utd’s U-12 side came from a goal down to retained the U-12 Connacht Cup with an impressive second half display as they ran out 4-1 winners over Longford side, Melview FC, at Strand Celtic’s grounds in Sligo on Saturday afternoon.

The Longford side took an early lead after just five minutes as a high hopeful ball into the box ended up crossing the goal line with the assistance of a strong wind. The concession of that early goal didn’t deter this young Mervue side as they continued to play their passing football and were level within three minutes.

Aaron Dossen did well down the right wing before sending in a dangerous ball into the box which eventually found its way to Liam Melody and he struck a powerful strike into the top corner to level matters after just seven minutes.

Mervue had another scare on 16 minutes but defender Callum Carroll came to his side’s rescue as he cleared off the line as Melview threatened to go back in front. Mervue almost hit the front on 26 minutes when Liam Melody connected with a corner from the left but saw his effort rebound of the post.

Sam O’Neill then hit a well struck effort on target as the Melview keeper could only parry his powerful strike into the path of winger Aaron Dossen but his follow up effort just cleared the crossbar as Mervue started to push forward at every opportunity in search of a second.

On the stroke of half time Liam Melody picked out Aaron Dossen at the back post but his header was blocked at the back post as Melview scrambled the ball away to safety and the teams went in level 1-1at the interval.

Mervue continued to put pressure on the Melview defence after the restart as their passing and movement began to create chances and nine minutes into the half they hit the front. Sam O’Neill picked up the ball about 25 yards out and struck a cracking low effort into the bottom corner giving the keeper no chance for 2-1 on 39 minutes.

Substitute Baba Adeeko arrived on the pitch following an injury to Sean Flaherty, who had a great game up front, and within a few minutes had doubled Mervue’s lead. Aaron Neary slipped a lovely ball through to Baba Adeeko and he took a touch before dispatching a low strike past the Melview keeper for 3-1 on 48 minutes.

Mervue added a fourth goal nine minutes from the end following an excellent passing move. Sub Dylan Traynor started the move on the right wing as he beat two players before passing inside to Sam O’Neill who played in Aaron Neary and he made no mistake blasting his effort past the Melview sub keeper who had just arrived on the pitch for 4-1.

Mervue keeper James Egan was on his toes right to the end as he made a brilliant double save late on to deny Melview a second goal. Well done to Eric Connolly and Owen Shaughnessy’s impressive young side as they claimed a league and Connacht Cup double within four days having won the Premier Division on Wenesday night.

This was also the club’s third U-12 Connacht Cup title in four years having appeared in the last four finals since 2012.

Mervue Utd: James Egan; Ben Gorman (Darren O’Brien 52), Gary Higgins, Ryan O’Connell, Callum Carroll; Aaron Dossen (Dylan Traynor 50), Tom Kidd (Cian Griffen 52), Sam O’Neill (Morgan Morrin 52), Liam Melody; Aaron Neary (capt), Sean Flaherty (Baba Adeeko 45).



Club App


Pitch Booking



Club Membership