Junior A's Capture 4th Successive League Title   02/05/2014

Galway Hibernians 0-2 Mervue Utd A (Premier Division)

The club's Junior A team made no mistake in taking all three points in Bohermore on Thursday evening as Barry Moran and Stephen Cunningham goals in either half secured the win that confirms a fourth successive Brod Trill Premier Division League title for the club.

Gary O'Connor and Ger McGrath's side only needed a point to be crowned league champions but straight from the off they went looking for a 13th win of the season as they dominated first half possession.

They suffered a set back after just two minutes when winger Dan Tuck had to be replaced after a challenge with the Hibs right back and had to be replaced by Shane Keogh.

Keogh provided the ball to Alex Lee on 17 minutes which created the opening goal as Lee did well in the box before cutting the ball back to Barry Moran who made no mistake from just inside the box to place the ball past John Cotter for his 43rd goal of an excellent campaign.

Mervue pressed hard after that for a second as they continued to dominate possession but without breaking down an over worked home defence.

Just before the break the home side almost drew level when Keith Ward curled a brilliantly struck free-kick over the Mervue wall but Andrew Walsh produced an equally wonderful save pushing the ball away from the top corner.

On the restart Hibs defended Brian Griffin was quickly in action clearing a Mervue effort off the line following a Shane Keogh corner, while Keogh saw his on target free-kick just past the hour mark comfortably saved by Cotter.

A minute later and Alex Lee really should have doubled the visitors lead as Keogh picked him out with a wonderful pass to release the winger through on goals but Cotter advanced to get a touch on his effort to guide it away from goals with Stephen Cunningham unable to force the loose ball home.
Keogh delivered another excellent corner from the left to pick out Eric Browne at the back post but the centre half headed his close range effort just the wrong side of the Hibs post on 73 minutes.

Two minutes later and Kevin Fitzpatrick came to the home side rescue as he clear Alex Lee's shot off the goalline before Cunningham made it 2-0. The striker collected the ball outside the box from a Simon Walsh pass before turning his marker and firing a low effort into the corner past Cotter on 76 minutes.

Three minutes later and the home team were awarded a penalty when Robert Connolly upended Dave Smith in the box with referee John Riley pointing to the spot. Keith Ward's first effort was brilliantly saved by Andrew Walsh before the officials ridiculously ruled a re-take.

The outcome was the same however as Walsh once again produced another excellent save as he once again denied Ward from the retaken penalty.

Mervue should have added a third in injury time as sub Aaron Finnerty did well down the right before crossing to the front post were Cunningham fired a great chance over Cotter's crossbar with the goal at his mercy.

In the end it matter not as the Mervue's Junior A team celebrated a fourth successive Premier League title as they moved 13 points clear at the top of the table with just one game remaining away to Athenry.

With the league title in the bag Gary O'Connor and Ger McGrath's side can now look forward to an away trip to the City Calling Stadium next Tuesday evening as they face Airtricity First Division side, Longford Town, in the second round of the EA Sports Cup. (Kick-off 7.45 pm)

Mervue Utd: Andrew Walsh; Robert Connolly, Darvin Dowling, Tommy Walsh, Eric Browne; Dan Tuck (Shane Keogh 2), Derek McWalter, Simon Walsh (Stephen Larkin 87), Alex Lee (Aaron Finerty 83); Stephen Cunningham, Barry Moran.


Mervue Utd15132063164741
Galway Hibs139133324928
NUI Galway1683533201327
St Bernards1373334231124
Corrib Rangers166373742-521
St Patricks154382643-1715
Tuam Celtic142571328-1511
East Utd1501141859-411



Club App


Pitch Booking



Club Membership