Juniors Record Fourth Straight Win   09/09/2018

Mervue United A 5-3 Corrib Celtic (Premier Division)

Mervue United's Junior A team recorded a hard fought fourth straight Premier Division win following a hard earned 5-3 win over Corrib Celtic at a very wet Fahy's Field on Saturday afternoon.

In what turned out to be cracking eight goal thriller the home side led 3-0 just past the hour mark only for the visitors to stage a remarkable comeback to draw level with three well worked goals in a 15 minute period. There was still plenty of time for more drama as Mervue took a late 4-3 lead only for Corrib Celtic to miss a spot kick in the final minute, we then had two sending offs, one on each side, before Barry Moran struck a fifth with the final kick of the game.

In a very even first half, both side's created plenty of chances but it was the home side who opened the scoring when young Lee Keogh did well on the left before releasing a perfect ball for Enda Curran who fired past James Healy into the far corner with an excellent finish just past the half hour mark. They doubled that lead when more good play from Barry Moran and Enda Curran set up Lee Keogh and he stroked the ball into the corner past a helpless James Healy for a 2-0 interval lead.

After the break the home side had a penalty shout waved away by referee Mark Lynch when Enda Curran went down in the box as James Healy rushed from his line to block the striker effort, but a couple of minutes later they did add a third as Barry Moran fired home his first of the game and it looked from then all three points were secured by the home team. But credit a hard working Corrib Celtic side as they never gave up and pulled a goal back through excellent young winger Cian Forde as the Mervue defence failed to clear a dangerous ball into the box and the youngster fired home for 3-1.

It was game back on when Cian Forde fired home his second of the afternoon as he struck the goal of the game when he hit a cracking effort into the top corner giving Colm Power no chance in the home goal. They were level just a few minutes later when more slack defending from the home defence allowed Chris Greaney fire home a trademark finish from inside the box for 3-3. With the visitors definitely on top at this stage as Shane Concannon struck the crossbar with a fine effort from outside the box and they then also struck Colm Power's right hand post as they looked the most likely winners at this stage.

But as a lot of teams find out to their cost Mervue teams don't give up too many points in Fahy's Field and Gareth Gorman and Noel McDonnell didn't panic as they steady the ship with Ciaran Foley, Shane Keogh and Alex Schmidt entering the game. With eight minutes remaining Aaron Finnerty picked out Gary Bailey in the box and the midfielder headed into the far corner past Healy to put the home side 4-3 in front.

There was still time for more drama as Mark Lynch awarded Corrib Celtic a last minute penalty for a hand ball as the visitors pushed for another equaliser but Mervue custodian Colm Power brilliantly saved Keith Greaney's spot kick pushing it away to safety. There was two late red cards as an off the ball clash in injury time was harshly punished with the two dismissals. In the final play of the game young Mervue winger Alex Schmidt broke away down the right before squaring the ball back to Peter Walsh who teed up Barry Moran and the striker fired past James Healy with the aid of the inside of the right hand post from just outside the box for 5-3 with what turned out to be the final kick of the game.

Mervue Utd: Colm Power, Daniel Brennan (Shane Keogh), Aaron Finnerty, Chris Carroll, Paul Healy; Jason Molloy, Gary Bailey, Peter Walsh, Lee Keogh (Ciaran Foley); Enda Curran (Alex Schmidt) and Barry Moran.

Western Hygiene Premier Division

Mervue Utd44001441012
Salthill Devon431010559
West Utd22007256
Corrib Celtic31201011-13
Galway Hibs312046-23
Merlin Woods FC/Medtronic4130813-53
Galway Bohs4130414-103

Pitch Booking


Club Membership